Water Cooler Wisdom

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Name:
Location: NE Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Last I Saw The Plague Rats, Igor Was Playing With Them

Bubonic Plague Infected Mice Go Missing

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- Three mice infected with the bacteria responsible for bubonic plague apparently disappeared from a laboratory about two weeks ago, and authorities launched a search though health experts said there was scant public risk.

Federal officials said the mice may never be accounted for. Among other things, the rodents may have been stolen, eaten by other lab animals or just misplaced in a paperwork error.

I didn't know this...

Health officials say 10 to 20 people in the United States contract plague each year, usually through infected fleas or rodents. It can be treated with antibiotics, but about one in seven U.S. cases is fatal. Bubonic plague is not contagious, but left untreated it can transform into pneumonic plague, which can be spread from person to person.

I'm sure the risk is minimal, however this story still makes me uncomfortable. Another problem - how do I get the image out of my head of a man pushig a cart and crying "bring out your f'n dead" in a Sopranos-like accent?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How odd and (in)convenient that the plague never pushed across the demmocratic aisles to the seat of one Ted (dead?) Kennedy. I wont hold my breath, but my fingers are crossed.....

9/17/2005 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home