Water Cooler Wisdom

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Name:
Location: NE Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What I Did on My Blogging Vacation

From about 3rd through 7th grade you could count on your first assignment being a "What I Did on My Summer Vacation" essay. I thought a similar report would be a good way to return from my blogging hiatus.

My vacation began with a business trip for a client/project that I genuinely enjoy. In the meantime, I picked up another project which has the potential to be a very interesting venture. I also completed one which was pure drudgery. Ho well, you have to take the bad with the good. In general, I consider myself both blessed and lucky to have a job that I look forward to almost every day.

Young Master Nordeaster is a high school junior and has begun looking into colleges . We went to our first seminar last week, hosted by UND's Aerospace program. Very impressive. The upside, it's a first rate program. The down side, well, it's in North Dakota. We had a great chat on the car ride home. At his age I viewed high school as a sort of purgatory that you muddled through until the real learning and personal growth started. I'm not sure if that's quite how he sees it, but it is great to see he's excited about college.

I've also been going through the heck of rolling my old 401K into two plans (my current work plan and another IRA) -- an extremely frustrating process. Every time you think you have all the paperwork completed, there's a request for another form. None of it can be done on-line so there is this string of snail-mail delays that turn what should be a one hour, or at worst a 3 day process into a two or three week ordeal.

I'm also in a major home remodeling mode. I have a 1920's home. This week I had what I affectionately referred to as the "The Beast", removed from my basement. The Beast was my gravity furnace which I'm updating to a modern, efficient furnace, central air and updated electrical. The new duct work is being laid as I write this. In a way, I'll miss The Beast. It was virtually silent and produced a very gentle heat, almost like radiated heat. However, it was an asbestos lined monstrosity that occupied about 1/3 of my basement and was very inefficient. I should gain most of the expense back on the re-sell and reduced gas consumption over the years. The most amazing part -- I qualified for reduced, fixed rate financing through MFHA. Now that I'm enjoying the benefits of a government program, do I have to vote Democrat? Actually, loans that help homeowners maintain and improve their property, particularly in older neighborhoods don't seem all that "un-conservative".

Next projects -- a bathroom re-model, and then getting myself back into shape.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the great comments and insights..By the way, are you looking for more information on Bellerose Cabinet Kitchen ..If so here is a fantastic resource for everything related to flowers and Bellerose Cabinet Kitchen with information, products, articles and more..Check it out here...http://www.floridakitchendesigns.com

1/20/2006 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home