Water Cooler Wisdom

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Name:
Location: NE Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Original Chocolate City

New Orleans mayor, Ray Nagin has received a lot of flak for his now notorius "chocolate city" comments. A lot of the outrage is due to the insensativity of the comment itself, but I think the bulk of the outrage is rightly directed to the double standard held in the MSM and in the Orwellian PC speak that has infiltrated our society. Think of the fallout if the mayor of Omaha said we need to keep it a "vanilla city."

While I think the outrage towards the double standard is justified, I think some people are unjustly harsh on mayor Nagin. Though stupid comments, I really don't think he meant anything particularly mean-spirited by them. I simply think he is a man who enjoys his old-school 70's funk. I can't blame him. The mayor's comments inspired me to dig back into some of my own collection. Sly and the Family Stone, Parliament, Ohio Players, Tower of Power -- good stuff!

If you're curious, the complete lyrics to Parliament's 1975 "Chocolate City" (album cover above) can be found here.

Excerpts....

There's a lot of chocolate cities, around
We've got Newark, we've got Gary
Somebody told me we got L.A.
And we're working on Atlanta
But you're the capital, CC
....


A chocolate city is no dream
It's my piece of the rock and I dig you, CC
God bless Chocolate City and its (gainin' on ya!) vanilla suburbs
Can y'all get to that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home