Water Cooler Wisdom

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Name:
Location: NE Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Thursday, May 25, 2006

I Can't Believe She Did That

Remember when you were a teenager and your parents would do or say something that totally embarrassed you? It used to happen to me often. Then as I got older and started raising my own son, I realized how wise my parents were and how minor those embarassing things really were relative to all of the positive things they did for me. It's very rare that my mother or father does anything that embarasses me now, but yesterday it happened.

My mom follows politics closely, and like most Americans, is very passionate about the immigration issue. A few days ago she had an epiphany. One of those simple, economical solutions that tend to come from those of her generation.

Mom's big idea came from connecting two dots. Mom thought..."hmm, Florida has an alligator problem...Texas has a border security problem...let's kill two birds with one stone. Round up thousands of alligators and stock the Rio Grande." Beautiful in it's simplicity, but totally unworkable politically.

It's not the idea that bothered me, well yeah actually it did, but that's not the worst of it. Granted, mom was clearly trying to solve problems and make lemonade out of lemons, and her thinking was DEFINITELY outside the box. The embarrassment came from the fact that she was so proud of her revelation that she called her U.S. Congressman, Gil Gutknecht's office to suggest the idea.

I asked her about their reaction. She said the lady was very nice and said she would pass it on. Mom calls Representative Gutknecht's office a few times a year. I hope they still take her seriously, because usually she is calling with more relevant and important suggestions.

On the other hand, if you do see an alligator amendment attached to the immigration bill, you'll know where it came from.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps our friend, the Irish Lass as I'll refer to her, should give a gator to her mom to fend off the wanna-be thugs trouncing around the nordeast. Either that or I'll rent out the services of my purebred Bengal, albeit she is only 4 pounds right NOW, but Peanut packs a mean nibble.
t.

5/27/2006 9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home