Water Cooler Wisdom

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Name:
Location: NE Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. --Albert Einstein

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Becoming My Dad, #1

Every so often, my son humbles my impression of my own "with-it-ness". I left this as a comment on one of Bogus Gold's posts and thought it worth putting up here.

True conversation between Young Master Nordeaster (age 17) and me. A commercial comes on the TV...

Young Master Nordeaster: I like this song.
Me: I just can't get into the hip-hop thing.
YMN: That's not hip-hop, it's rock.
Me: Son, I've been listening to rock for 30+ years and that ain't rock.
YMN: Dad, you're now officially old.

He's right. But so was I.

Actually, Young Master Nordeaster has turned me on to some pretty good music the last couple of years (Flogging Molly, Deathcab, Snow Patrol, several decent Christian alternative bands). I don't dislike all of the new music, but do dislike most of the "popular" new music.

Human Rights Watch listed extended playing of music by Eminem and Dr. Dre as an act of torture. Personally, this is one time when I have to agree with HRW. I'm wondering...does that mean next time a bass thumping moron drives by my house I can call 911 and charge him with subjecting me to torture? I think I'll give it a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home